The Board of Library Trustees is a six member board appointed to 3-year staggered terms by the Board of Selectmen (Town Charter, Article 3, Section 3, d). In 1873 Town Meeting voted to establish a town library supported by the annual Dog Tax. The 1874 March Town Meeting approved and chose the first Board of Trustees. Massachusetts General Laws (Chap. 78, Sec. 7-12) dictate Public Library guidelines.