- Complaint Investigation
To address the issue of complaints, the Stoughton Police Department has a designated command staff officer acting in the capacity of the Department's Internal Affairs Investigator. This officer reports directly to the Chief of Police.
The primary responsibility of Internal Affairs is to respond to any allegation of misconduct against the Department. Alleged or suspected violations of law, ordinances, Department rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and / or orders are investigated according to established policies and procedures.
The Internal Affairs Officer is responsible for registering, recording, and controlling the investigation of complaints against Department employees. Duties also include supervising and controlling the investigation of alleged misconduct within the department and maintaining the confidentiality of these investigations as well as their corresponding records. The internal affairs process helps make certain that the integrity of the Department is maintained through a system where objectivity and fairness is assured by thorough impartial investigation and review.
The objectives of our internal affairs investigations are:
- Protect our community and the department's integrity
- Be accountable, transparent and foster public trust
- Provide fair and objective investigation into misconduct
- Protect employees rights
- Educate the community concerning police actions
- Correction of procedural and / or personnel problems
- Provide education, retraining, or corrective action when warranted